So I own a Vertex 120GB and Vertex 2 240GB drive – I have to say these are excellent drives and I’m already looking at the rev drive and the Vertex 3 for my next purchase!
These drives are far superior in everyway in my opinion to the standard momentum or scorpion drives out there.
- last week I fell asleep infront of the TV with my laptop as I’m sure a lot of you have done in the past.
WELL.. If your a true geek like me I’m sure you’ve done it!
But anyway I woke up a couple hours to find my laptop had gone into sleep mode..
Now if any of you own a OCZ Vertex you will know or should know how bad it is to let this hard drive sleep and that there is a known bug of no return unless you are lucky..
What do I mean bug of no return.. Well if your unlucky as I was the drive no longer displays within the BIOS.. Yup its a gonner.
Saying that there are a few options you should try first – I tried them all without any luck – lots of work lost; yes I should backup I know your all going to tell me this.. But truely how many of you backup your laptops… ..
So these are the things I came across – firstly my HD I noticed has 2 internal LEDs at the back where the connection is.. It flashes redish orange once and stays as a solid green usually this is recoverable or so I hear from the forums.. But if you have solid red/green light its bust.. Sorry
So first thing to try::
1. Switch off System.
2. Turn off the PSU, remove Power cord from outlet.
3. Disconnect the LE and all other drives.
4. Remove CMOS Battery.
5. Press PC case power button for 20 seconds to discharge capacitors.
6. Short the CLR CMOS jumper and leave all to ‘drain’ for about 30 minutes.
7. Reset jumper/Re-insert the Battery
8. Attach power/turn on PSU and configure CMOS to safe Defaults and set:
a. AHCI SATA mode.
b. Any CMOS Hot Plug/External SATA settings [DISABLED] on the LE port.
9. Save CMOS settings, re-boot to CMOS.
10. Connect the LE back to SATA port 0/1 via a Hot Insert/Plug/Connect the SSD while in CMOS, by placing SATA Power lead on first, then SATA signal Cable.
Then save CMOS and re-boot back into to CMOS to check if SSD is detected.
a. (At this stage, only the SSD on SATA port 0/1 and CD/DVD drives SATA port 4/5 should be attached).
11. Put the Bootable Tools CD in it’s drive, change Boot Order to CD/DVD first and Boot to it.
a. Secure Erase the SSD
b. Force Flash the latest Firmware.
c. Power down the system, remove power to the drive for 1 minute, reconnect the drive and power on.
Secondly if the above does not work::
Download the Linux Tools from here – install the iso to a usb and run the unfreeze app.
This didn’t help me just recovered from sleep and stayed as a black screen..
It is said if you disconnect and rconnect you may get lucky and the hard drive will initialise and you will be able to retrieve your data – I must of done this 100 times plus with no success
Overall it hasn’t put me off buying from OCZ – but I will be investing in a NAS with Raid enabled support to backup to daily!
Also I will be checking after every windows update that my sleep settings have not been reset.. If you do buy OCZ Vertex or SSD then I recommend you follow this guide to prevent the bug of no return happening and forcing you down the route of RMA process with OCZ:
I am and just happened upon this!… “Son of a Beach Ball”
Read up on my summary of the Oracle Partner Event in Malaga and why you should have been there – over on the Fihsbowl cfour blog!
Meet great people; discuss business problems, find out how others solved their issues and party..